POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : question about the blob bugs : Re: question about the blob bugs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question about the blob bugs
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 29 Apr 2002 05:52:05
Message: <3CCD182B.F823895C@atosorigin.com>
Gergely Vandor wrote:
[SKIP]
> But this post (Blob : Toward a solution
> http://news.povray.org/3B991C90.D715B7A3[at]free.fr) suggests that at least
> some of the blob bugs did not exist in PoV-Ray 2.0, and were "introduced"
> somewhere in between 2.0 and 3.1. (Is it a naive assumption that this means
> that it should be relatively easy to fix them?)

According, to my experiments, it's easy to fix, but there is a price:
 + sturm become highly recommended (I would say mandatory).
 + And of course, there is also a price in computation time
 (due to sturm but also to the removal of the optimisation).

If someone could come with a justification of the formulaes used for
 the hull optimisation, it might be better to debug the optimisation rather
 than deleting it.

And it does not explain the media/blob strangeness...

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/